Tom Schaus has over 40 years of aviation experience managing resources, equipment, and personnel as well as successfully planning missions utilizing helicopters to accomplish objectives in mountain, jungle, desert and offshore environments.
He is a seasoned film pilot having worked as lead pilot on numerous motion picture, video and photography flights for feature films, commercials, music videos, documentaries and industrial applications.
Tom is the FlightLine Films Lead Pilot for all helicopter filming operations, and has worked with our team since 1994. He is skilled not only as a pilot, but also in his ability to “think” like a cameraman, positioning the aerial platform perfectly and delivering unparalleled images.
Certificates and Ratings:
- Airline Transport Pilot – Rotorcraft-Helicopter BH206 Certificate No: 2062283
- Commercial Privileges – Airplane Single Engine Land; Instrument – Airplane
- Total Helicopter: 15,000+ hours
- Bell 47, 205, 206A,B, 206L1,L3, 212, 412, Eurocopter AS350, Sikorsky S62, S76, Hiller 12, MBB BO-105
EXPERIENCE 1994 – Present: Sundance Helicopters, Inc., Las Vegas, NV
- Charter Manager(2003 – present) and Director of Operations (1997 – 2003) – Plan, organize, and direct flight operations supporting a variety of helicopter applications. Insure all operations meet requirements of the FAA, Department of Defense, Department of Interior (OAS), Department of Energy, and Tour Operators Program of Safety (TOPS).
- Pilot-in-Command (1994 – present) – of helicopters supporting a variety of customer requirements including DOE support missions; aerial tours; remote mountain top communication site maintenance; aerial film, video and photography flights
1987 – 1994 EG&G Energy Measurements, Las Vegas, NV
- Pilot-in-Command – of helicopters supporting the U.S. Department of Energy. Planned and flew day and night missions for security air operations at the Nevada Test Site. Maintained night vision goggles. Planned and flew missions for radiological data gathering surveys in Nevada, Colorado and Alaska.
1968 – 1971 U.S. Army, Ft. Wolters, TX; Ft. Rucker, AL; Vietnam; Ft. Carson, CO
- Aircraft Commander (Chief Warrant Officer [CW2]) - Provided transportation of troops and supplies to remote landing zones in the central highlands of Vietnam in support of combat operations. Awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with two Oak Leaf Clusters, Air Medal, Bronze Star and Army Commendation Medal.